Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Behind the Page-Ghosts in the Graveyard

I know, I know...you thought that once November hit you'd be done with Halloween posts. Sorry, but I love it and just can't let it go quite yet! How about I just promise my December blog post will have nothing to do with Halloween, okay?

Mmm, Mmm...Messy is my most recent page about one of my family's longest-running traditions, the making of Ghosts in the Graveyard. I've shared the complete story in older layouts, which is why the journaling on this one is so simple.




I scrapped it using Lyndsay's Sweet Halloween Kit:




When I was in college, I volunteered at a university-run afterschool program for elementary schoolers living in a low income housing project. I stumbled across a recipe for Ghosts in the Graveyard, and it seemed like the perfect mix of art and food, an easy no-cook cooking project to do with the kids for Halloween. (It's basically chocolate pudding, cool whip, and cookies with seasonal decorations. Delicious and impossible to mess up, no matter how many little hands are helping!)

When Halloween rolled around during my sophomore year of college, my husband and I had been dating for about 6 weeks. When he saw what I was going to make with the kids, he insisted I get enough for us to make a batch, too. I did, and we had a blast making it in the dorm kitchen. We had so much fun making (and eating!) it that we haven't missed a year since--that's 17 straight years of making Ghosts in the Graveyard together. (17 years? That makes me feel old.) The decorating (and most of the eating) is now done by our 7, 4, and 1 year olds. Our masterpiece might not look quite as good as it did when DH and I made it ourselves, but it's even more fun to make it with them!

My daily dose of nostalgia is done now, so I'll let you return to your regularly scheduled November activities. Just make sure you stop by the blog this weekend for International Digital Scrapbooking Day. You never know what might show up on the blog during a celebration like this...


No comments: