Monday, August 23, 2010

Behind the Page

Out and about in the galleries this week, I'm starting to see layouts with first day of school photos. It makes fall seem imminent even though it's still swimming weather here and my kids will be on summer break for another 2 weeks. I'm looking forward to fall's cooler weather, but I'm not ready to go back to our hectic school year schedule.

One of the things I'm going to miss the most about summer is lazy time spent outside with my kids...no, not lazy. Unstructured. When my kids are outside, nothing about them is lazy. Their imaginations and bodies are moving a mile a minute. For my sons, every stick becomes a light saber, every tree is a potential hiding spot for the bad guys, and full speed is the only speed. That's exactly what I wanted to capture in this layout about my son, Ben.

There was nothing extraordinary about the day I took these photos. I was hanging out with the kids outside, enjoying the shade and chasing my toddler while the two older boys played. They played the same outdoor games as usual, and Jason bossed Ben around while Ben happily went along with everything Jason asked of him. It was nothing special, yet it was exactly the kind of everyday moment that I scrap to remember.

I scrapped this using one of my favorite kits, Lyndsay's Talkin' About Boys. I also used a template by Cindy Schneider, cardboard pieces by Kim Christensen, and ribbon from Lyndsay and Amy Stoffel's Garden Adventures Collab.

No comments: